Monday, November 11, 2013

Surrender: The Art of War

"Surrender. Surrender to God."
Isn't that what we're told so often? I always tried but was never very successful when it came to surrendering to God. I think I know why: I didn't understand what it means to surrender. Some words implicate others. Meaning there are concepts that are inextricably linked. There is no one without the other. Sky. 'Sky' can stand alone. And so can 'car', 'table', and 'toy'. All these words mean different things to all of us and they illicit different feelings, smells, and stories from each life, but their definitions are not dependent on other words in the way some words are. 'Quit' must go with 'participating', you can't quit without having participated. 'Leave' must go with 'come', you can't leave without having come. 'Fly' must go with 'perch', you can't fly without having been perched somewhere. I suppose I'm just talking about the difference between nouns and verbs differently than we usually talk about that difference. Nouns are static, they can stand alone. Verbs are action, they cannot. Surrender is an action and it does not stand alone. Oh! but if it could. If surrender could stand alone I would be saved mess, injury, exposure, and these marks as telling as a sign on my forehead. Surrender implies, necessitates, calls for, and cannot even exist without...a war. Do you hear the militaristic theme surrounding 'surrender' in scripture? It's there. You almost can't miss it, and if you're looking you really can't. We serve a God who says, "Deal with me." Not religion, not your boss, not your sin, not your dad, not your spouse or your ideals but Me. God calls us to one on one engagement with him. To a battle where we do not know if we'll survive. Just as God fought Jacob he awaits the fight with each of us. Not that God is a warmonger, instead that God knows the complaint we have against him is worthy of a war. He calls us to truth, not denial, and he cannot call us to truth without calling us to conflict. Our truth is full of tragedy, shame, abuse, and trials of every kind- this is our grievance against God. He doesn't ask us to minimize the grief of living here, instead he invites us to deal with Him, and Him alone, as we grapple with this side of Eden. God wrestled Jacob and Jacob was changed, he left with a limp and a new name. Surrender is a limp and a new name. Anything less than a real fight and you haven't surrendered. God's justice asks for you to bring the injustices of your life before him and wrestle with your reality as measured against God's love. God's answer is not, "Because I said so" His answer is, "Bring all your grievances to me and demand from me answers. Deal with me. See what you find." Surrender without a war only leads to occupation, puppet governments, and a sham retainment of identity. Yet, as I said I often wish there could be surrender without war because the war requires much from me and the limp gives me away to an ever-peering world. When I go to war with God I must bring myself, I must know my grief, my rage, and my chaos. These are the weapons I bring and I never win. Never. But God does not break me. He brings me to a draw. He touches my hip so that even in healing there is injury, and yet now somehow the injury is glorious. I ask for a blessing and He calls me a fighter, His fighter.

My heart doesn't race, my stomach doesn't clench, my hands don't tremble, nor my head go empty when the phone rings anymore. We warred about that because the last phone call brought me two parents broken and bleeding and I had a grievance against God. The limp is this tender spot I can't hide for all who walk among cars, and all who've known brokenness from metal against flesh. It's a weak spot, a mark, a limp. But I have the blessing I asked for when I was too exhausted to fight anymore, and I fought against him so that I could fight with Him and for Him now. If I hadn't gone to war with God over this, if I'm not willing to do battle over it again and again as I grow and change then my 'surrender' would be a denial of the damage done, and it would turn toxic invading every native thing about me making me a stranger in my own land. Surrender without a fight brings bitterness, but surrender with a fight brings a costly, limping, glorious freedom.

*As in so many of my blogs many ideas here are thanks to the work and teachings of Dr. Dan Allender. Here particularly I have taken ideas from The Wounded Heart seminar available for purchase at danallender.com Thank you Dan for teaching me how to fight the good fight.


No comments:

Post a Comment